In 2020, the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) launched a breast cancer program, supported by Pfizer as a founding partner, to respond to the urgent need to accelerate progress in breast cancer, which remains the most diagnosed and the leading cause of death from cancer in women. The Program aims to strengthen and engage the global breast cancer community, with the overall goal of contributing to the reduction of premature deaths from breast cancer and improving the quality of life of patients.
The Program aspires to achieve 6 main goals by 2025:
- Accelerate the development of breast cancer leaders
- Strengthen organisational capacities of breast cancer organisations, including patient groups
- Support the development of the health workforce in breast cancer
- Support national action on breast cancer in responding to key areas and needs in breast cancer control
- Strengthen networks and collaborations in breast cancer at a national, regional, and global level
- Unite the voice of the breast cancer community, including patient groups, to advocate for more effective breast cancer control